Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for making Arrowhead Tanks as your chosen tank supplier! After being
in the tank business for over 30 years, we are convinced that proper
installation is the key to long term, trouble-free tank service.
Please study the following information, it will make a tremendous
difference in the useful life or you tank.
- Check chemical compatibility of chemicals being stored with
that of the polyethylene tank and fittings.
- Adequately vent tanks to maintain atmospheric pressure only.
- Do not allow the purging of tanker truck fill lines to over-pressurize
- Prevent excessive heat near or inside the tank. Polyethylene
tanks are designed for a maximum continuous temperature of 100° F.
Tanks must be specially designed for use above 100° F.
- Have and use the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for the
product being stored.
- Regard tanks as confined spaces. Follow proper entry procedures.
- Make sure ladders are properly secured, top and bottom. Allow
only one person on the ladder at a time.
- Avoid standing and working on tank domes. The surface is flexible
and slippery. There is no weight or load rating for the dome.
- Never move a tank that is holding liquid and never allow personnel
under a tank when it is being lifted!
- Make sure the forklift lines are smooth and free
- Use extended tines if handling a large tank.
- Tie the tank to the forklift mast if there is a possibility
rolling or sliding.
- Use the usual method of rigging and lift a tank with
slings or use a pipe and chain in the manway of the
tank as shown in the adjacent picture.
Tightening Fittings & Bolts
Do Not over tighten fittings and bolts on plastic tanks.
Plastic nuts on bulkhead fittings
|1/4 turn beyond hand tight
|Metal nuts on 5/16" metal studs
||12 ft lbs torque
|Metal nuts on 1/2" metal studs
||30 ft lbs torque
|Metal nuts on plastic-headed metal stud bolts
||20 ft lbs torque
Use lubricants on metal studs and stud bolts to prevent seizing.
- Use flexible connections to allow for expansion and contraction.
This will help protect the tank from pump and piping vibration. DO
NOT CONNECT DIRECTLY TO RIGID PIPING.
- Fill the tank with water and hydrotest after installation to
ensure tank and fitting integrity.
Field Installation of Liquid Level Gauge
Sight Glass Style:
- Break the two unions apart.
- Screw the short nipple with the one half of the union into
the factory installed sight glass fitting. Use Teflon tape or
paste as thread sealant.
- Rejoin the unions and tighten.
Reverse Float Style
- Make sure gauge rope is seated on the pulleys and working freely
in both directions.
- Connect threaded pipe or nipple on the end of the gauge into
the dome fitting. In order to facilitate later maintenance, DO
NOT GLUE THE CONNECTION.
- Attach the exterior portion of the gauge to the pipe support
bracket on the side wall of the tank.
- REVERSE FLOAT STYLE required for Sulfuric Acid applications.
- Retrieve and check the uninstalled parts, usually shipped inside
- Place the tank wisely, proper placement will make servicing
easy and less expensive.
- Place the tank wisely, protecting personnel from chemical danger & protecting
the tank from
traffic damage and excessive heat.
- Utilize adequate secondary containment according to particular
chemical danger and
governmental & industrial requirements.
- Use Teflon tape, paste, or both on all threads. DO NOT OVER
- Fully support the entire bottom of the tank on clean, smooth
foundation or in factory approved metalwork.
- Fill the tank with water and hydrotest for 24 hours after installation
to ensure tank and fitting integrity.
- Install the needed labels for chemical warning and response
according to industry best practice and governmental requirements.
- Make sure there is a manufacturer's warning label on the tank.
- A flexible hose connection must be used to allow for expansion
and contraction; solid piping may contribute to premature failure
of the tank and fittings
- Do not set the tank on sharp objects, rocks or uneven contour.
Sand, fine soil or smooth concrete
make ideal bases.
Extreme Caution:Consult Arrowhead Tank Sales
on any application where continuous use is above 100° F.